Here’s the Recap:
Brenda Salinas Baker is a trilingual public radio producer living in New York. Since receiving the highly competitive Kroc Fellowship at NPR in 2012, she has reported pieces for NPR’s flagship programs, Marketplace and PRI’s The World. Brenda also helped to relaunch NPR’s Latino USA as a full-hour show and reporting original stories for the show as a freelancer.
She has since worked as a founding producer of the personalized radio start-up, 60dB, and currently works at Google where her team is re-imagining the future of radio. In this episode, Harry and Brenda discuss her commitment to building a media landscape where every woman of color has the power to tell her story. They expound on how her storytelling skills have led to her success as a reporter, producer and expert in the audio space.
What We Covered:
- 06:00 – Harry welcomes to the podcast, Brenda Salinas Baker who speaks her background and roots, the impact Covid-19 has had on her personally and professionally and her love of storytelling
- 15:46 – Brenda discusses her experience in radio and podcasting, including the NPR Kroc Fellowship she earned
- 23:29 – Brenda’s work as a producer and mentor at NPR’s Next Generation Project
- 31:28 – Brenda opens up about leaving KUT Public Media to become a freelance reporter at 60dB
- 36:34 – How Brenda honed her skills as a storyteller during her time at Google
- 40:18 – How Google is approaching the podcasting medium and early learnings they have gleaned
- 46:25 – Strategies and best practices for discoverability and leveraging YouTube as a tool for podcasting
- 52:04 – Ongoing podcast projects that Google is working on and what excites Brenda about the future of audio and podcasting
- 58:08 – What is something that Brenda has changed her mind about recently and what is the most misunderstood thing about Brenda
- 1:01:22 – Harry thanks Brenda for joining the show, and let’s listeners know where they can follow her
Podcast Junkies Junkies Facebook Group
Brenda’s Instagram – @brendasalinasbaker
Brenda’s Twitter – @brendapsalinas
Google Podcasts Creator Program
Google News Initiative
Podfest Global Summit Aug 10-17
Enjoying the Show?
Music Intro by Cedar & Soil: Twitter | Facebook | Website